Sunday, September 29, 2013

9/29/13 Review

Important Reminders:
-Oct. 5-6: General Conference
-Oct. 26: Primary Halloween Party, 10am in the Church parking lot...decorate your cars for Trunk or Treat
(The Emergency Preparedness and Compassionate Service tabs have been updated with today's lesson material as well.)

Lesson Review
Ten minute mini-lessons on Food Storage, Humanitarian Aid and Visiting Teaching.

Food Storage
-The Lord has instructed us to watch and prepare
-The most important lesson of a 1-year food storage plan is Obedience
        *It was obedience, not rain that persuaded Noah to build the ark
-Four staples of food storage: whole grains, sugar/honey, salt, powdered milk

Oatmeal Muffins
2 eggs
1 cp buttermilk
1 stick butter, softened
1 1/2 cps sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cp rolled oats
2 cps all-purpose flour
1 cp chocolate chips (optional)

Cream butter & sugar; add buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and beat well. Add baking soda, salt, oats and flour and stir just until moist.

Grease muffin pans and fill 1/2 full. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Humanitarian Aid
We read the following scriptures: Colossians 3:12-14; Mosiah 4:16-26; Moroni 7: 45-48; Isaiah 1:17-18; 1 Peter 4:8. (Click the scripture to be linked to the chapter at lds.org).

Why be charitable? To learn to be more like Christ.

"The Lord might well say: I want you to remember this: in the world today, I have old people, I have sick people, I have lonely people, and poor people. My whole system depends upon your ministering to one another. And inasmuch as you do it unto the least of these you do it unto me. This is my method, this is my pattern, this is my program. I could send angels, but I do not, I send you."

Visiting Teaching
We discussed the What/How verses the Why of Visiting Teaching.

**Remember to report your visiting teaching to your VT Supervisor, especially any special needs or situations that should be passed on to the RS President so she can be aware how to help the sisters in the ward. If needs are confidential, report directly to Sister Jenkins.

What/How: Contact, Prayer, Visit (and share a message), Meet Needs, Report to your supervisor
Why: LOVE, Observe then Serve, Because we are Covenant Keeping People--VT allows us to bare on another's burdens.

Next Week (10/6/13): General Conference 
Priesthood, Saturday and Sunday Sessions can be streamed online at: https://www.lds.org/general-conference?lang=eng

This is a great opportunity to invite some friends that may have shown interest in the gospel and would like to learn more.

No comments: